Thursday, July 5, 2012

If Only… What if?...


 I hate good scriptwriters (I mean this in a good way) they are so able to take such normal everyday things that you experience, dramatize it, and then throw it back in your face. Movies, songs, books and comedy are all able to use current issues, events and human emotion to make you relate.  A true art.

I was watching an episode of Grey’s Anatomy (ok, so I am a fan!) which was an "if only" episode, a look at alternative lives for each of the characters in the series, if things had gone differently, what would life be…which got me thinking….

If only and what if’s are dangerous.  Reflecting on how things might have been, should have been, ought to be is a negative emotion.  I have seen many people go through depression, anger, disappointment, frustration and become trapped in those feelings, always repetitively questioning themselves and ruing their situation in life.  But being defeatist is half the battle lost. Pessimism, over-thinking and negativity are a never-ending cycle that begets more of the same.

Believe me you are NEVER alone.  Everyone suffers from seemingly impossible problems, wrong decisions, bad luck and adversity.  I have been through my fair share of problems, life has never been a bed of roses and I’m constantly learning, which I suspect will go on for a long as I live. 

The smile belies the truth but I have never regretted anything and when I’ve looked back those things have always happened for a good reason.  If asked if I would change anything in my life…I wouldn’t.  These are the experiences in life that mold and teach you.  They’re life’s pop quizzes and test that you take and move on. 

The closing monologue by Meredith Grey -  “Your life is a gift. Accept it. No matter how screwed up or painful it seems to be. Some things are going to work out as if they were destined to happen. As if they were just meant to be.” (Grey’s Anatomy Season 8, Episode 13 “If/Then”)

If Only, is only an excuse… it does not mean that the “then” would be positive.   There is no absolute certainty of that or anything else.  Life is always what YOU make it. It’s too short not to live SO keep moving forward…

Peace, Love and Respect

No comments: