Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Race is a FOUR letter word.....

I come from a multicultural family.

In standard four I argued with my teacher because I wrote Malaysian on my form where race was. She was adamant that Malaysian wasn't a race but I had different ideas!!.... Well it got my parents a one way ticket to the teacher!!

My father was Irish (he came out here to help fight the communists, got stuck here, fell in love with Malaysia and a Malaysian.... gave up his citizenship to be Malaysian and lived and died here happily ever after)... My mother was of mixed parentage half Chinese, half Australian born in Bentong, Pahang also lived and died a Malaysian citizen.

I am a crazy mixed up kid who has converted to Islam (which makes my kids an even crazier mixed up bunch) also a Malaysian citizen. Given the scenario above that qualifies me to be a........ (now let’s see what's available) a) Malay b) Chinese c) Indian d) Punjabi e) Dayak f) Iban g) Mindanao h)Eurasian .... z) Dan Lain.... I WANT TO BE MALAYSIAN!!!

I have a problem with people needing to know my race... what does it matter... I was born and bred here.... studied 100% in Bahasa Malaysia.. speak, read, write the language... love my country... so that makes me MALAYSIAN.

Next time I fill in a form -
RACE : 100 meters
SEX : Yes please

Original posted on Facebook Notes on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 10:35pm

No comments: